My summers are full of weeknight salad recipes that can easily turn into leftover lunches for the office. Mixtures of shredded raw root veggies, lots of greens, seasonal tomatoes and cucumbers and a variety of proteins and grains. I love leftover grilled chicken, salmon or sausages in salads. An added bonus of lentil salad, quinoa, nuts, pasta or rice is a nice treat too. Don’t forget about adding fruit to the mix – strawberries, blueberries, peaches and blackberries can be delicious with a sweeter balsamic dressing. All of these recipes are simple and only require heat if you’re grilling. Which will help you and the house keep cool!
This salad with shredded raw beets and carrots is a great spin on a traditional slaw. It’s crunchy and sweet with a nice bite from cilantro. I served this several weeks ago along side of grilled chicken; however it would be great with spicy grilled shrimp too!
Here are a couple more of my favorite salads… plus some photos of my blooming garden!
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Sumac Dressing
- Triple Tomato Chicken Paillard Salad
- Kale Salad with Dried Figs and Pancetta
- Grilled Chicken Thigh and Cucumber Salad
- Seared Tuna and Blistered Tomato Salad
Beet & Carrot Slaw
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 cup peeled and shredded red beet
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Taste for seasoning!
Mix with shredded carrots and beets. Garnish with cilantro.