The combination of lots of beta carotene from carrots and the magic from turmeric makes this salad delicious plus healthy. Crunchy from carrots, a nice spice from the dressing and savory coucous plus sweet dried currents, nutty almonds and cilantro. So so delicious and perfect for warm winter days or spring fever. Its basically my new favorite salad, ever. Pack it for picnics, serve it in a huge family style dinner or bring it to the office for a desktop lunch.
I prepared this salad on Monday night and enjoyed it at lunchtime the next couple of days. It’s perfect with grilled fish or chicken.
Carrot CousCous Salad
- 1 cup, Israeli couscous
- 1 & 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon, honey
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons spiced red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Cook couscous in boiling chicken broth with 1/2 tsp tumeric added until al dente.
- Set aside to cool.
- Make a dressing by whisking vinegar, olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt pepper, and honey.
- Mix orzo/couscous ,carrots,currants, almonds and dressing together. Garnish with feta cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.