I had an eventful weekend full of lots of festivities between a fantastic Collector’s Choice event at Greenhill, the THP Winter Walk and the lighting of the menorah in Center City Park. And between all of it, made several appetizers for cocktail parties and gatherings. It’s the season for very delicious small bites that can help soak up all the cocktails and cheer. So, in the next couple days, I’ll be providing inspiration for your holiday get-togethers.
This one is packed with flavored – roasted shrimp in bacon after a bath in a lemon marinade. Plus the addition of super hot horseradish packed cocktail sauce. I went over board with the horseradish but you can adjust to your taste.
This appetizer is a great last minute party idea. And, with frozen shrimp, you could make it in any pinch.
Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 20 jumbo shrimp, shelled with tails intact
- 10 slices of bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup prepared white horseradish, drained
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- PREPARE THE SHRIMP In a large baking dish, whisk the 1/2 cup of oil with the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic and chiles. Wrap each shrimp with a piece of bacon and add to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour; turn the shrimp halfway through marinating.
- MAKE THE COCKTAIL SAUCE In a bowl, whisk the ketchup, horseradish, shallot, vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a baking sheet, broil the shrimp on high for about 5-7 minutes, or until the bacon is just crispy.