Tis the season for roasted root vegetables. And I’m always looking for a way to jazz them up with color and spice. This recipe is based on a Bon Appetit recipe that just uses carrots but my mother insisted to add brussel sprouts and pearl onions for additional color. She was, of course, right on this. It was beautiful and also tasty.
The lemon is a must with this recipe. Don’t skip it. And do keep this one for your next dinner party.
Harissa Spiced Roast Vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ pounds small carrots, scrubbed, tops trimmed to about ½”, halved
- 1 pound, brussel sprouts halved
- 1 pound, pearl onions (no need to even peal them!)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed