There is something perfect about the collision between grilling season with fresh ripe tomatoes and sweet watermelon. Oh yeah, who can forget the forest of basil and mint varieties growing in the herb garden. This salad pulls that together with the most delicious halloumi cheese.
Halloumi, while can be pricey, is something just unique enough to surprise guests with an interesting summer surprise. This was the perfect salad for our Memorial Day celebration.
Halloumi, Watermelon and Charred Tomato Salad, adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 8-9-ounce package Halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 6 small triangles thinly sliced watermelon, rind removed
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
Brush grill rack with oil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over tomatoes and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Grill tomatoes, turning occasionally, until charred and bursting, about 4 minutes. Grill cheese until nicely charred in spots and beginning to melt, about 45 seconds per side.
Arrange melon on a platter. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.