Last weekend I experimented with this interesting Bon Appetit recipe for Spiced Lamb Burger. The ingredients are pretty typical of a standard lamb burger – filled with cumin and coriander and other Middle Eastern spices. But, the preparation had me wondering. This recipe asks you to fill a pita with the raw meat mixture and cook it on the grill. While there is the missed crispy burger factor, the juices of the burger fill the crispy pita was delicious juices.
This is a fun Spring grilling menu – baked fries, a good green salad and this lamb burger. Or, a super casual Easter menu!
- 2½ pounds ground lamb, preferably shoulder
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- ¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 8 thick medium pita breads with pockets
Using a fork, mix lamb, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and ¼ cup oil in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.