It’s sleeting outside right now! So, perfect time to cozy up with a bowl of homemade soup. Here’s a hearty recipe for turkey sausage, kale and potato soup. It takes less than an hour to prepare and will last throughout the week. Nothing beats heating up soup on a cold night. I suggest a squeeze of fresh lemon and splash of hot sauce on top! Stay warm!
Turkey Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- 3 cups chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Pinch dried red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, cut it into slices. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
- Add the onion & carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, broth, and salt and bring the soup to a boil. Add the sausage, potatoes, and red-pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 2 minutes. Add the kale and bring the soup back to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until the potatoes and kale are tender, about 6 minutes longer. Add the black pepper.