It’s really feeling like summer lately – flags on porches, sunshine until nine at night, lots of rose wine pouring and an interest in never turning on the stove. Last night, I made a layered cobb salad for an easy weeknight meal with a friend – and lots of lunch leftovers. This salad can be made with all store bought ingredients – rotisserie chicken, precooked eggs and precooked bacon. Or you can take the time to cook each ingredient – it takes little to no time but requires a little heat in the kitchen.
This salad is perfect for a casual party (serve with a good crusty bread) or a picnic in the park. Get chopping!
Layered Cobb Salad:
- 2 split chicken breasts (roasted in the oven at 400 for about 30ish minutes – or buy a rotisserie bird!)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 5 bacon slices, cooked until crisp and finely chopped
- a handful of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- a handful or two of greens (baby kale, watercress, arugula)
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 3 or 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced
Layer the salad in a large bowl (I love the glass to show the layers). Romaine lettuce, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, avocado, greens, egg and cheese! Dress with your favorite dressing.