What’s better than summer fruit cake for dessert? Summer fruit cake for breakfast.
I made this rich and dense Blueberry and Peach Pound Cake with Greek yogurt this weekend in the mountains. After baking it in the morning, we stared at it until around 11:30 when we finally finished dinner. It ranked with the most desserts I’ve prepared in the mountains and was even better the next morning before our mountain hike (more commonly known as Andrew’s death march).
This recipe would work with frozen peaches but you can’t beat the season’s sweetest.
Blueberry & Peach Pound Cake from Sukarah
- 2 cups (230g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter. room temperature
- 1 cup (100g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (from about one lemon)
- 1/2 cup (125g) Greek yogurt
- 4 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped into squares
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- 1/4 cup peach jam, (I used strawberry because its what I had)
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350 F / Gas mark 4. Spray a 10 cup Bundt pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, soak the peaches with the lemon juice. Set aside
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 5 minutes on medium – high speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lemon zest, beat for additional two minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low. Alternate between the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt beginning and ending with flour. Once all the flour is used, turn the mixer off. Using a spatula, gently fold in the peaches, than the blueberries, don’t fold too much else the fruit will be smashed.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes. Once done, cool for 20 minutes, before inverting.
- In a small saucepan, combine the jam and water. Once boiling, remove from heat and poor over the cooled cake.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days.