- 1/2 pound Italian hot sausage
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large yellow pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- 1 large red pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound grated fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preheat a grill. Grill the sausage on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes per side. Brush onions and peppers with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions and peppers until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the sausage from the grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Remove the onions, separate into rings, and roughly chop. Remove the peppers and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices.
Heat grill to high. Brush dough with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over and grill for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and place on a flat surface.
Layer the fontina on the dough and top with sausage, onions and peppers. Place the pizza on the grill, close the cover and grill until the cheese has melted, about 3 to 4 minutes. To finish in the oven, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the pizza on sheet pans and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pizzas from the oven and top with chopped herbs. Slice and serve.